Friday, June 11, 2010

Book Review: Mr. and Mrs. Fitzwilliam darcy

mrmrsfd-frontcoversm I came across this book in Books a Million a few months ago after I read Pride and Prejudice. I was pretty excited. I thought it would be interesting to read a “sequel” about the Darcy clan.

 

I started the book with high hopes and by the fifth page I was crushed. The book was a flouncy, fluffy, sexual escapade leading into another. I sighed. I hadn’t signed on for an erotic novel. (Which it isn’t, but it makes The Carpetbaggers seem pretty tame sometimes. Thus, I read on. I wanted to at least give the book a fighting chance.

 

It gets better slightly. Most of the book is love, unicorns, peaches and roses happy and ridiculously sappy. HOWEVER, there is one twist at the end and that at least adds some spice to the novel.

 

I have one last pet peeve about this book. Ms. Lathan frequently jumps YEARS into the future and then backs up to the present day. It’s not a method of foreshadowing so much as her mind wandered to other pieces to write and they never got taken out in the editing process.

 

After pushing through the 295 pages of the book… it just ends. It is not a good ending or a bad one, she just stopped writing altogether. Perhaps the ending is to be found in the other 50 chapters she has already written, but will be published in the next book. But for me, I will never know. I won’t waste my time or money on it.

 

Grade: D+ (Dreadful)

0 comments :