Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sophie's World

I finished Sophie’s World finally. I won’t say that it was a terrible book. I will say that I did not really enjoy the book. I didn’t mind the heavy philosophical talk. I rather enjoyed the history lesson. I liked the facts and figures. I liked the whole philosophy discourse.


Here’s what I didn’t like: Sophie is a rather sassy 14 year old girl. Sassy is a bad way. A completely unbelievable way. I’m sure a normal 14 year old would not understand this heavy talk and be quite as bold. I’m also pretty sure that if a 14 year old was secretly meeting at 60ish year old man without her parents or anyone we would start to think about pedophilia and parents might get a tad more involved. Seriously, if I had a 14 year old daughter running across town on foot to meet an old geezer.. I’d stop her if I hadn’t met him, talked to him, made sure he wasn’t diddling my daughter.. or you know.. ACTUALLY KNEW him.

Also, I hated the 3/4 book shift in perspective. It was completely ludicrous. (I would say redonkilous but that’s not a word.) I won’t explain the shift and ruin the book for others, but really?

Overall I would give the book a C. The philosophy was good, the story was bad.

0 comments :