Monday, October 18, 2010

Philippa Gregory’s The White Queen

the_white_queen1 I actually finished this two weeks ago. However, it’s been so crazy I am just now getting around to reviewing it. 

 

Let me start by saying I am a huge fan of Gregory’s writing. I know it’s not historical accurate and it’s not always the most literary of reading. However, she presents a fascinating look at the past, at monarchs, and life in various time periods.

 

The White Queen is about Elizabeth Woodville. My knowledge of the Cousin’s War (War of Roses) was restricted to my Western Civ class. I was aware of the event, but not armed with knowledge and skepticism like I am the Tudor period. Woodville does make an interesting figure to see history through. She is biased as only a mother and woman can be. She leads an interesting life. One full of drama and intrigue. I don’t want to make a huge effort to explain the story! You must read it.

 

I read this book to the exclusion of others I am currently reading because it was so intriguing. The plot is somewhat easy to follow (as easy as any book that has a background in war can be), the characters other than Woodville ring hollow at times (like Edward), and some of the information seems questionable.

 

HOWEVER, Woodville is interesting enough to make up for all the others. You can feel her anger, pain, happiness, melancholy coming off the pages. And you feel terrible for her poor uterus!!!

 

Overall, I would recommend this book to the historical fiction fan.

 

Grade: A (Acceptable)

0 comments :